Wednesday, May 27, 2009

About


David Scherling
General Manager
El Gaucho - Bellevue
It all began for me at an early age in a place called Goodfellow’s Restaurant in downtown Minneapolis. I was a serving assistant at a very well acclaimed restaurant – the place kept me in awe of what “style” was all about. From the continental cuisine and the first rate wine list (I didn’t know good wine then but I knew how to read prices) the menu ignited a passion that never left me.

I’m not entirely sure where it actually started, but I think my passion for the restaurant industry may have been kindled early on by my father. He was a dental surgeon by trade and was very well known for his festive celebrations and over the top hospitality with his friends. He was also a very good cook and took a lot of pride and pleasure in creating wonderful meals for family and friends. For as long as I can remember, my family honored food and the process of putting it on the table – as well as the joy of providing and serving others.

When I went on to study at the University of Minnesota, I paid my way through school by waiting tables and bartending in a variety of establishments in and around the Minneapolis area. After graduating I began my trek to the Rocky Mountains but soon ended up back in the Minnesota area working for Restaurants Unlimited at Palomino Euro Bistro, as it was then called. I did a variety of things for them for 8 wonderful years and had the fortunate opportunity to hold positions in Minneapolis, Palm Desert, Honolulu, Dallas, Seattle, and the Bay Area, as well as contributing to various new restaurant openings.

I then wanted to expand my horizons and see what it would be like to work in other areas of hospitality so I joined Oki Developments in 2000 to become the General Manager for their Echo Falls Country Club property. What a different world – and very educational for me. Our team broke all the sales records and we became very profitable as well. This started to prepare me to lead other venues and I became the General Manager for their sister clubs at The Golf Club at Hawks Prairie and The Plateau Club – both high end and wonderful establishments.

So what was missing in rounding me out in the hospitality industry you might ask? If you said hotels, you would be correct. In 2004 I accepted the challenge to branch into this segment and my next exciting challenge was to become the Director of Food and Beverage at the Seattle Marriott Waterfront Hotel. This led me to become the General Manager at Elliott’s Oyster House where again my wonderful team produced record revenues and profits. I have always connected to places where excellent food and service are a must – this is the common thread that runs through my veins – give the customer a great experience and they will keep coming back.

So the way this story ends is where you are reading about me now – El Gaucho Bellevue. This is the pinnacle in my career. El Gaucho not only brings me back to the beginning of my career with their white table cloths, superior wine list and a service expectation that no one can touch, it is simply the crème de la crème in the restaurant biz. I couldn’t be happier and I look forward to seeing a lot of old friends stopping by and meeting a bunch of new ones as well.

1 comment:

  1. I can say from personal experience that David Scherling indeed has a passion for providing an 'Over the top' experience for any guest lucky enough to enter El Gaucho Bellevue. This passion is infectious to his employees, which is reflected their frienly professionalism and by the stellar numbers his restuarants consistantly post. He is a perfect fit for a discerning City such as Bellevue. Congratulations Mr. Scherling, enjoy your success at El Gaucho!

    Sincerely,

    Bellevue Resident

    ReplyDelete